Eating well does not have to be so darn complicated. If we can start following a few simple rules, we can enjoy enormous benefits over what was experienced with the SAD (Standard American Diet). Once we establish the basic habits outlined here, we can fine tune your eating plan (timing, quantity, supplements, etc.) further. NOTE: If you are experiencing autoimmune issues, hormonal imbalance or elevated levels of inflammation, I recommend you START with a more stringent approach. (Let me know if this is the case.) Here is the CrossFit Discovery Mealtime Mantra:
1. Eat High Quality Protein at every meal.
- Protein stimulates mobilization of energy and maintains lean muscle
- Eat Eggs, Fish, Beef, Wild Game, Pork, Poultry or anything that had either a mother or a face
- Grass Fed, Pastured, Free Range, Local and Wild Caught are all preferable to their factory raised counterparts
- Aim for a palm sized portion.
- Avoid Soy
2. Get your Carbs from Vegetables.
- Vegetables are nutrient dense and won’t jack up blood sugar and insulin levels like simpler carbs.
- Beets, Kale, Chard, Collards, Carrots, Broccoli, Winter squash, Sweet potatoes, Bell peppers, and so on. The more colorful the better.
- Don’t just buy vegetables- EAT them! Fill any empty space on your plate with the green stuff.
- This does not mean that fruits are bad for you. It’s just much better to prioritize the veggies. Eat less fruit when trying to lean out.
- Avoid sugar and grains. Sugary drinks like soda, sweet tea and coffee with pumps and drizzles are the absolute worst.
3. Eat Healthy Fat, Do Not avoid it.
- Fat is a great hormonally neutral fuel source that signals our body to be satisfied.
- Get plenty of Omega 3 fatty acids from fish and fish oil
- Eat the fat that comes with well-raised animal protein (egg whites alone aren’t what they are cracked up to be)
- Use Olive oil (cold, as on salads) and Coconut oil (to cook with) and Grass Fed Butter
- Avoid soybean and corn oil.
4. Drink Smart!
- Drinking a glass of water at wakeup will jump start circulation, metabolism and digestive function.
- Sugary/Sweet Drinks are THE WORST thing you can swallow. Avoid Soda, Fruit Juice, Soda, Sweet Tea, Sweet Coffee Drinks and And Sweet Alcohol Drinks.
- Drink Coffee with MCT Oil or Heavy Cream, unsweetened Soda water (la Croix), or Unsweet Tea.
- Sipping water all day long is better than chugging all at once.
- Your performance drops dramatically if you are dehydrated. But thirst is the most accurate signal of dehydration. Drink when thirsty.
5. Make Treats Count
- You will begin to recognize right away if a food is a net positive or net negative to your health
- If you decide (after all, you are a grownup) to eat something unhealthy……..
- ENJOY IT! Eating unhealthy crap that you don’t even enjoy is just lame.
- Of course, if your goals include performance, health and aesthetics, you won’t eat crap often.
- Remember….sometimes the best way to “Treat Yo Self” is to NOT “Treat Yo Self”.
Need more info? Some of our favorite books/blogs on fueling up properly: